Hosea: Break Up Fallow Ground
MESSAGE - Pastor Dale Thiele
Break Up Fallow Ground
- Prosperity Breeds Idolatry
- Idolatry Reaps Judgment
- We’re All Farmers: Break Up Fallow Ground
Questions for Further Study or Group Discussion:
- Read Hosea 10:1-15. What is the worst thing that could happen to you? Why is this the worst?
- What happens to Israel in verse 1? Why does this turn out to be the worst for them? How does prosperity breed idolatry?
- What kinds of judgment does Hosea predict for the idolatrous people of Israel? What is the shame Ephraim will experience in verse 6?
- What does the farming imagery of verses 11-13 communicate? What is the yoke in verse 11? How does this compare with the yoke of Jesus in Matthew 11:28-30?
- What does verse 12 mean? What does this look like in our lives?
Memory Verse of the Week:
Hosea 10:12 Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap steadfast love; break up your fallow ground, for it is the time to seek the LORD, that he may come and rain righteousness upon you. (ESV)